Event Phone: 512-666-9003
Collage on Clay-Day 1
August 28, 2021
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Collage on Clay-Day 2
August 29, 2021
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
In this two day workshop, students will learn new ways to work with pattern and layering on clay at the leather hard stage. Students will construct a box wall tile and a rounded vessel (tumbler, mug or small vase) for class decorations.
Melanie Shaw will share techniques for sgraffito image transfers, slip layering, patterning and collaging with paper punches, stencils (handmade and store bought) and wax processes to create a layered, colorful surface. There will be a short tutorial on die-cutting on the second day for artists that are interested in this process, feel free to forward images for class prior to class start for images to be utilized in class on a flat and/or rounded surface. Students will work toward creating a coherent relationship between pattern and composition. There will be a short break for lunch each day.
Level: Intermediate +
-Slab construction of box wall tile and rounded vessel for class
-Collage with paper and/or vinyl stencils and punches
-Surface decoration with colored slips, underglazes, slip trailing, glazes
Cost: Includes clay, slips, underglazes, handmade stencils
Sketchbook, notebook and pen/pencil to take notes
Sack lunch or cash to enjoy lunch at the local coffee shop or restaurants
Container/plastic to bring greenware home in (or arrange to fire items at Art Off Center at end of class)
Registration and Refund Policies:
- Tuition is due in full at time of registration.
- Workshops with insufficient enrollment will be cancelled and payment fully refunded.
- Workshop registrants must be a minimum age of 18.
- Art Off Center reserves the right, if necessary to cancel the workshop due to unforeseen circumstances. Participant workshop fees will be fully refunded.
- Art Off Center can not be held responsible for travel arrangements.